Fire Alarm Systems In HMO’s

If you are planning to convert a house into an HMO one of the legal requirements is that it has a compliant fire alarm system

How many types are there?

There are 2 types to choose from which are:

Grade A System – Fire alarm system with detectors and a central control panel.

Usually with call-points (break glass units) near exits and on each landing.

Grade D System – System of (usually interlinked) mains-powered smoke or heat alarms with backup batteries. The interlink can be achieved with cable or radio-interlink.

In low risk properties the mains power supply for smoke alarms might be replaced with a requirement for ten year sealed battery supply (usually combined with radio-interlink)

Its important to discuss this with the HMO officer from your local council. Without it you will not be able to get a certificate to operate your HMO

Who can install the system?

When having a fire alarm system installed it is vital that you get this done by a qualified Electrician. They should be registered with one of the electrical industries Part P schemes.

No electrical work should ever be carried out by unqualified people. Similarly its exactly the same for fire alarm systems

Are there any requirements for the materials?

There are different requirements for the cable and accessories to be used in a fire alarm system. Prysmian are one of the most well known brands in the UK but there are others just as good. The most important factor is that whichever equipment you use it conforms to the correct British Standard

If you need any help with choosing the right fire alarm system please contact us

Here are some useful links about Fire Alarm Systems In HMO’s














Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>